On Aug 21, 2009, at 2:00 PM, shirling & neueweise wrote:

i remember not seeing any example of parts costing more than 1000 (eur/usd) to rent. this "price ceiling" is what large-scale opera and some major orchestral works will cost. there can be 2nd performance (75%) and even 3rd performance (50%) discounts within a certain timeframe (a season?).

FWIW, Kallisti Music Press offers all orchestral parts for sale only, not for rental. We (I) do this partly to make it easy on conductors (take as long as you want for rehearsal, and repeat the performance as many times as you like) and to encourage repeated programming of the work, since it will be in the orchestra's library indefinitely. I charge for these parts roughly the same sort of price one would expect for rental, usually between $80 and $400 depending on the length and instrumentation of the piece.

I have found that orchestras are so unused to this idea that they have sometimes returned the parts to me after the performance, on the assumption that they were rentals. I therefore now include a note with every parts set ordered, emphasizing that the parts are not rentals, and that if the orchestra does not wish to keep them, they should be donated to a school, library, or community orchestra.

If any of you out there think this is a good deal, by all means get in touch!

Andrew Stiller
Kallisti Music Press
http://www.kallistimusic.com/