Hello again,

Many thanks to the various people who responded to my problem with playback. It now looks as if there were two problems. If they were related I still don't know how. I was getting silent scrolling some of the time (scroll line moving and bars counting off as usual), but that seems to have stopped, and some files that were refusing to play back audibly are now OK.

From: dhbailey <dhbai...@davidbaileymusicstudio.com>

> When you say "playback ... was working ... and now isn't" do
> you mean that the playback doesn't start at all?  No pointer
> on the screen moving with the music, etc.  Or do you mean
> that it appears to be working but no sound is coming out?

I had a very frustrating time trying to sort out what was consistent in the problem. In the end I had normal playback for most files, and a small set of files all related to each other that froze the playback controls. The controls looked normal and behaved normally until I clicked "play". Then the controls were greyed out and there was no evidence of playback (e.g. no scrolling, no counting off of measure numbers).

That problem had the same simple solution for all of them: change "reset repeats" to "ignore repeats". My husband had come across that problem before, but when he first looked at one of my files he was concentrating on the silent scrolling, looking at a very short section in scroll view at the beginning of the piece where no repeats were visible. He reminds me that I had had that same problem once before, where a repeat had been wrongly set up and it stopped the playback, but it was long enough ago that I had forgotten.

> What playback mechanism are you using?

Midi output says: Microsoft GS wavetable SW Synt
I had checked the volume control and it wasn't muted, but I might well not have done, so thanks to the people who included that reminder. :) I don't have an audio card. I'm just using the integral sound system: "Soundmax integrated digital audio".

> I wouldn't worry so much about the pre-scan or playback file
> stuff.  If you're following the same procedures you've
> always followed and playback has ceased to make sounds for
> you, it's something other than that.

That's a useful thought.

From: Marcello Noia <marcellon...@gmail.com>

> have you tried to check that in your audiocard the MIDI volume has
> not lowered to 0? Sometimes it happens to me without any reason (with > Finale 2006c for Windows) that when I open any file and start playback > I cannot hear anything, I go to audiocard mixer and find out that MIDI > fader (and that one only) is turned all way down.

Finale does seem to change things without asking first! A couple of times recently it's switched off "allow redo", which had me seriously worried.

Thanks again and best wishes,

Patsy.

--
Patsy Moore: pa...@mooremusic.org.uk