With most orchestral instruments, there is historical continuity allowing one to readily distinguish contemporary performances which use instruments incorporating developments from the time of composition until now (albeit with some substantial variations, those, for example, used in Vienna, which constitute a major branching off from usage elsewhere, or the French Bassoon or the German clarinet, or the various competing valve traditions) from those which attempt to use historical instruments or new instruments based on period designs.

With the case of the ophicleide, there is not complete continuity to contemporary practice, nor is it always clear which instrument is indicated by the name ophicleide. The keyed bass, which inherited, in large part, the lineage of the cornetto/serpent family did not survive to have a continuous technical development into the 20th century, but there are historical instruments and new instruments based on historical design available for performances in which the entire ensemble is essaying a more historically informed style. In some cases, the _role_ (and sometimes the name) of the ophicleide was clearly recast by the tuba, or sometimes via "intermediate" valved instruments which were developed in the mid-19th century, often related to bugles or valve trombones. In some of these cases, we have clear instructions from the composer as to a preferred instrument. In other cases, we have documentary evidence regarding performance practice, particularly in opera houses. Moreover, the steady changes and developments do strongly suggest a degree of hisotrical dissatisfaction with the instruments, which does encourage one to use a bit of license here.

The difficulty, as far as I am concerned, comes with performances in which the ensemble uses otherwise all-modern instruments. Is a tuba or bass trombone the appropriate modern substitute instrument? Can one use an historical ophicleide with an otherwise modern orchestra? Can one use innovative designs intended to improve on historical models which have not had the benefit of a century or so of development? I think that we are currently in the musically healthiest situation, in which many orchestral musicians are prepared to experiment with all of these possibilities. It is a thrill to hear Berlioz nowadays with an ophicleide, and it is fascinating to hear the experiments in the pit or stage with various solutions to less clearly identified instruments./

Daniel Wolf
Frankfurt