On 4 Sep 2009 at 8:17, 73357.3...@compuserve.com wrote:

> what about E Power Biggs' pedal harpsichord ?

What about it? Mozart owned a pedal fortepiano, so it wouldn't
surprise me if there were pedal harpsichords at the time. Biggs was a
big promoter of Flentrop, the Dutch maker of tracker organs built on
18th-century models from the Bach era, so I'd doubt that he'd have
picked a harpsichord design that was based on anything other than the
historical instruments.

Of course, our understanding today of the salient characteristics of
those historical instruments has altered greatly as we've learned
much more, so likely an instrument built at that time would not pass
muster with our modern standards for historical recreations.

But I strongly doubt he would have gone for an instrument that wasn't
a real attempt at recreating historical models.