On Sat, Sep 5, 2009 at 10:39 PM, <toronado...@gmail.com> wrote:

>  On Sat, Sep 5, 2009 at 7:20 PM, A-NO-NE Music <anonemu...@mac.com> wrote:
>

>> On 2009/09/05, at 15:51, toronado...@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> Each time I press play, before a single note has been played (even if no
>>> notes are entered in the score yet) volume controller messages are being
>>> sent to my MIDI keyboard for each track. This is volume, not key
>>> velocity.
>>> I've tried turning off H.P., unchecking "send patches before play", and
>>> changing the values of the levels in the instrument list and mixer, all
>>> no avail. The volume leveles are being set to 64 even though they say 100
>>> (or anything else) in the instrument list. I created this score using the
>>> wizard. Anyone know what is going on?
>>>

>> Apology if I am not understanding this, but are you talking about _volume_
>> as in CC7?  I have a feeling you are mistaking with channel gain as in CC11.
>>  If you do not wish that to happen, you should filter it at the destination.
>>  If you use a MIDI interface such as MOTU MTP/AV, you can filter it on the
>> hardware.
>>
>> I'd imagine you can insert CC11 at the beginning of each track in Finale,
>> no?  Altho you are seeing 64 is odd.  The standard is 110.
>

> The standard is 110? For which? Controller 7 or 11? I'm pretty sure I'm
> talking about controller 7 because this is the basic volume level of each
> MIDI channel.
>
> If I create a new default document and in the instrument list, the level
> for the default first staff is 101, and it becomes 110 on my MIDI
> keyboard when I press play. So something is multiplying it by like 109% or
> something.
>
> But if I create a new "document without libararies" I get the expected
> behavior of exactly what appears in the instrument list in the vol. column
> being sent to the MIDI keyboard. This is the way I normally set the
> overall volume for tracks.
>
> So there is something in my default document (and apparently also in the
> documents I create with the Wizard) which differs from this.

Just wanted to clarify one thing...

In the document in question (the one I originally asked about), if I set the
vol. in the inst. list to 101, it becomes 64 on the MIDI instrument, if I
set it to 100, it becomes 63, if i set it to 50, it becomes  31, if I set it
to 90 it becomes 57, and so on. So something is multiplying it by some less
than 100% factor in this docment.

In the default document it gets mutliplied by slightly more than 100%.

If I create a document without libraries it is multiplied by excactly 100%.