This topic has been nagging at me because I was sure I'd seen that notation somewhere, but couldn't for the life of me remember where. My brain has finally disgorged the information, and while it seems that the notation I remember has nothing to do with the topic at hand, I thought I'd pass it on anyway, just in case.

In Couperin's table of ornaments, a curve with a loop in it (placed over a note, like a fermata) indicates that the note is to be played slightly later than its notated position. But he only actually used this ornament a very few times, apparently concluding that this common expressive device was best left up to the player.

As I said, I don't see what connection this can possibly have to the matter at hand, but there it is: the same symbol.

Andrew Stiller
Kallisti Music Press
http://www.kallistimusic.com/