John Howell wrote:
At 8:55 PM -0600 10/6/09, Bruce Petherick wrote:
You could also argue that most 11C - 16C pieces are one "chord" but that may be pushing the boundary.

Sorry, but I can't see that at all. Monophonic chant has no harmonic element at all (unless you add a drone to it). Organum has harmonic changes as the troped part changes notes, and later discant organum and conductus have rather clear harmonic changes. Any later polyphony has distinct harmonic changes as well, even though they are not Common Practice harmonies. There was a LOT of music dating from before 1680!

I am glad we now have this as an off-topic mail! My point is that many, many people hear chant as relating to an underlying harmony, or tonality (A new composition student last weekend was the latest personal experience of this phenomena). I am not saying this is correct at all, but only pointing out that to contemporary ears, there is a harmonic content to the chant (I suppose that same could be said of any piece for monophonic solo instrument). Now the historical argument (which will never be totally finished) is in which period we historically have "clear harmonic changes". I am of the musicological party that doesn't think that Palestrina has "harmonic changes" but has polyphonic tonality. YMMV.
There is also examples of the New Complexity composers only using one chord or tonality, but their definition may be rather extended as to what a chord or tonality is.

True, so how about "In C" and other minimalist works?

I didn't think about "In C" but I think that is definitely a one tonality piece!