The Lutheran Service Book (most recent version for LCMS) frequently sets five verses between the staves. However, there's a bit of space between verses 3 & 4, which makes scansion to the proper line of succeeding staves easier. I would definitely set the verses 3 & 3 if two pages are required when the voice parts and/or harmony changes. For six or more verses I would set 4 in the music and put 2 underneath.

However, if I'm only acting as engraver and the client has asked that all verses go between the music I would gently make my suggestions and do whatever the client ultimately decides.

-Cecil Rigby

----- Original Message ----- Subject: [Finale] maximum verses between staves in hymns

I'm setting a hymn with 6 verses. I'm not terribly familiar with the conventions — what would be a good limit to the number of verses between the treble & bass clefs in a system?