On 27 Jan 2010 at 8:57, Harold Owen wrote:

> Dennis writes:
>
> >Say you have three voices on one staff, as in the first bars (left
> >hand), of the Goldbergs (see link to scan below). Assuming the upper
> >voice has all its stems upwards, the lower voice all stems
> >downwards, what is the rule for the middle part?
> >
> >http://www.collins.lautre.net/files/goldberg.jpg
> >
> >(By the way, shouldn't the rests in these bars be horizontally aligned?)
>
> I believe the standard treatment for a third voice is to jave it
> offset a bit to the right of the other voices, which is true of the
> example for beat 2. I think the rests are not aligned because the
> first one represents the upper and the middle voice and the second
> one represents only the upper voice.

I find the fact that there aren't two quarter rests on the 1st beat
confusing, to be honest. I know it would be hard to do, but it really
is the only accurate way to notate it (or a quarter rest and a half
rest).

If it were not for the division of the hands, I'd put the 3rd voice
on the top staff. But if you do that, then you have to indicate that
explicitly, which is yet another problem.