On Jan 31, 2010, at 7:39 AM, dhbailey wrote:

I've attended the Boston Symphony Orchestra many times over the years and have never seen a sax on their stage.

Then you've never heard them do the Lt. Kije Suite, Pictures at an Exhibition, or Bolero--to name but three. I cannot emphasize too much that some contributors to this list have been drastically underestimating the number of 20th-c. orchestral works with at least one sax part. There are quite a few instruments scored less often than sax but that do not, for that reason, get their classical credentials questioned: alto flute, tenor oboe, tenor tuba/euphonium, mandolin, guitar...

When I lived in Buffalo, the orchestra's bass clarinetist doubled sax when needed, and taught it at SUNYAB as well. The Philadelphia Orchestra, I believe, has a dedicated sax player on their roster, rather than just a call-out list.

Andrew Stiller
Kallisti Music Press
http://www.kallistimusic.com/