I have seen Subito's binding and printing, and as long as the pdf is OK, the printing and binding is fine. There was a time a few years back when some Finale-made pdfs printed by Subito were missing clefs and a few other things, but that's been fixed.

My understanding of Subito is that they are a publishing house (they have a limited roster); but are also a place for self-publishing. I have friends who use their site as a place to park their self- published works. I also have friends who are published by Subito.

There is also ACA (which is BMI only). ACA (American Composers Alliance) is a non-profit composers co-op that gets some of its funding from BMI, and charges composer members a modest annual dues payment. Otherwise, it functions exactly like a publisher (their imprint is American Composers Edition), except it is easy to get your things back if you want to place them at a future date with a commercial publisher. In recent years they have become quite professional, and there stuff looks great. One has to apply for membership to ACA. ACA will also respond to requests for perusal scores. And they make "perpetuity" agreement with members (so things remain available after you are gone, with profits going to heirs).

In essence, both ACA and Subito allow you to upload pdfs, both give you web space on their site to list works and receive orders, they take and fill orders in a professional way, and they send you the profits.

Neither site posts prices. I've been begging ACA to post prices for the reason that Dennis mentions (lots of people don't want to request a quote).

David Froom