Today I got a real gem by UPS: An old engraved plate by Henle (page 55 of HN 264, "Chopin: Mazurkas"). Personally, I have never seen an actual plate before in real life (I've only seen photos of them in books and in some film documentaries) and I must say it's a quite different thing to study it closely in detail. You can see all the beautiful craftmanship for just producing this single page. Beams are clearly drawn from 2 directions, the small ties are stamped but the slur seems hand-drawn, the braces are stamped, etc.

I highly recommend these Henle plates. It just becomes so much easier to understand the reasons why Ross, Chlapik, etc talks about engraving elements the way they do.

Best regards,

Jari Williamsson