SN jef chippewa wrote:

sorry, should have mentioned chromatic trans, no key sigs. so just to make sure, even though the part is for C tpt, since the player has just taken the Bb picc tpt to play, the cue should be in Bb picc, yes?

tpt in C has a cue just before its entry (was previously playing tpt in
C), should the cue in the PT be in C or Bb piccolo tpt?

I would put it in the same key as the part being read. The tonality heard by the player should not change, unless you really like confusion.

I wouldn't worry about that -- I'd simply make certain that whatever instrument/voice is playing the cued notes is marked very clearly. A player who plays on both C and Bb instruments and does so well enough to be playing your music will be able to cope with a cue for a different instrument, especially if it's just a guide and isn't something the trumpeter will ever have to play. We trumpet players can think in many different keys, often within a few beats of each other, so it's not big deal either way. But be sure you specify the instrument playing the cue.

--
David H. Bailey
dhbai...@davidbaileymusicstudio.com