Kim wrote:

I am working on some 18th century manuscripts, many times I will see
"poco F" or "poco piano" or "poco forte." The default text setting in
some music engraving applications is for italic (e.g. Sibelius); but
aren't italics traditionally seen as editorial additions, wouldn't
having "poco" in italics be wrong if the wording is actually present
in the manuscript source(s)?

While it is true that the use of italics is one of the devices used in critical and scholarly editions to mark elements added by an editor which are not present in the original, it is also fairly common, particularly in keyboard and choral music, for written out ("allargando") and abbreviated ("rit.", "dim.", and "rall,") text indications, to be italicized. Examples of this are to be found in /Novello's Colleciton of Anthems by Modern Composer, Vol 4/, which can be viewed in full on Google Books. (cf. <http://books.google.com/books?id=QFhXQFlwUmsC>).

ns