Yes, a brief note to TRANSPOSE DOWN (as Vaughan Williams used) wold help avoid confusion.

Aaron J. Rabushka
arabus...@austin.rr.com
----- Original Message ----- From: "Ryan" <ry.squa...@gmail.com>
To: <finale@shsu.edu>
Sent: Thursday, March 11, 2010 12:40 PM
Subject: Re: [Finale] [OT] hn trans up/down

Speaking of copyists slavishly following score clef changes; I'm playing a
few Szymanowski pieces (from the 20's and 30's) this weekend with the
orchestra. In one passage, the second part is notated in bass clef old
notation as D on the middle line. This is the same as treble clef D above
middle C. In my opinion, there is no reason to notate this in bass clef as
the treble version is more easily readable. I think it's because the 2nd and
4th parts are written on the same staff in the score and the 4th's passage
is considerably lower, warranting a clef change.
Old notation is still alive and well, and players have no problem reading
it. A note from the composer/copyist would be immensely helpful to the
player.

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 5:40 AM, Robert Patterson <