At 11:13 AM -0400 4/14/10, Rich Caldwell wrote:

The feature isn't obvious though. You must optimize the systems (not letting it remove staves), then when you're in the staff tool, drag enclose the bottom handle on the staves and do the Respace Staves function. Unfortunately, Finale won't do exactly what you want. You have to fiddle with the numbers in the dialog until you get the resulting system height you want. It would be nice if there were a simple "distribute staves evenly" command that would keep the top and bottom staves where you put them, but the only option available right now is to keep the top staff position where it is.

Good Lord, Composer's Mosaic could do this 'way back in about '92!!! And it even kept related staves grouped closer together. Made page layout easy and instantaneous, even as unsophisticated as the program was at that point. I miss it. (But I don't miss some of the limitations!)

John

--
John R. Howell, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Virginia Tech Department of Music

"We never play anything the same way once."  Shelly Manne's definition
of jazz musicians.