I have given up on notating anything in compound meter. It is much too
difficult for players to sight-read for anything of even moderate rhythmic
complexity in such meters. Notating 6/8 figures in 2/4 (w/triplets), or 12/8
figures 4/4 (w/triplets), has the *huge* benefit of visually showing where all
downbeats lie. Otherwise, everyone ends up having to pencil in the beat map
underneath the music.

In duple meter, for sight-reading purposes, rhythms are binary -- they fall
either *on the beat* or *off the beat.* (Players will subdivide "the beat" as
necessary, as long the subdivisions are binary.) In triple meter, there are
*three* possible rhythmic subdivisions per beat, which makes sight-reading much
more difficult. But reading complex/syncopated compound rhythms becomes easier
if all three beat positions are bounded under a triplet bracket, so that the
downbeats, at least, are instantly clear.

Cheers,

- DJA
-----
WEB: http://www.secretsocietymusic.org