In fact, Ross specifically uses this as an example of what NOT to do in 6/8, 9/8 and 12/8. He says quarter rest, eighth note on the same beat in all compound meters EXCEPT 3/8. But never eighth note, quarter rest on the same beat!

He also says to use dotted quarter rests and dotted half rests in 9/8 and 12/8 time, as they clarify the beat, but not in 6/8.

3rd edition, pp 179-181.

Christopher