dc wrote:

I didn't get many (or any) replies to my first message on this subject,
so I thought I'd try again with an example to make my question clear.

Who is the expected audience? If expect the typical purchaser / player to be a sophisticated interpreter, the upper example might be sufficient; if the audience is a bit less sophisticated, you might want to use the lower one.

Besides that, the lower one does have the disadvantage of being slightly less universal, since while "L" and "R" work in English and German speaking countries, they work less well in French and Italian, and Spanish, where "L" and "R" have no connection at all with the words in those languages which mean "left" and "right".

ns