On May 29, 2010, at 7:02 AM, Andrew Stiller wrote:

In my youth, I used the beginning of "Maria" to help my sight singing of tritones, and I've also pointed it out to others for the same purpose

I did that, too, but only for augmented fourths, not diminished fifths. Even if they sound the same, in my head I had to think them differently in order to have good intonation.

For diminished fifths I used a first-year piano tune which still sticks in my head but whose title and composer I couldn't tell you.

(I'm thinking it was a Soviet composer, like Kabalevsky or Khachaturian. Or maybe Rebikov?It goes ti-fa-ti-sol, do-mi-sol, ti-fa- ti-sol-do.)

mdl