I put my articulations at the note heads, and jazz players are not used to
this. Still, it looks better that way to my eye (in most cases), and I don't
think it impedes readability.   However, going the other way and ignoring the
conventions of string notation doesn't seem to be a good idea, and your
experience reinforces this.  Omitting key signatures at the beginning of the
line is a hand copying shortcut for which one pays a price in rehearsal time,
and I bet the key signatures end up penciled in on the parts anyway.

Chuck

On Jun 30, 2010, at 10:17 AM, John Howell wrote:

> Just a comment without discussion.  First rehearsal Monday for a Broadway
> show from the mid-'50s.  Hand copied, generally VERY readable.  But the
> copyist put all the articulations above the notes, NOT at the noteheads, and
> it drove me crazy!  I simply don't look for them there, so in sightreading
> they get ignored.  I know, you should give people what they're used to
> seeing, but string players are NOT used to seeing this, and the copyist
> obviously didn't know that.
>
> (He also omitted key signatures at the beginning of each line, which is also
> frustrating since there can be 3 key changes on any given page, but that's a
> different discussion.)
>
> John
>

> --
> John R. Howell, Assoc. Prof. of Music
> Virginia Tech Department of Music
> College of Liberal Arts & Human Sciences
> Blacksburg, Virginia, U.S.A. 24061-0240
> Vox (540) 231-8411  Fax (540) 231-5034
> (mailto:john.how...@vt.edu)
> http://www.music.vt.edu/faculty/howell/howell.html
>
> "We never play anything the same way once."  Shelly Manne's definition
> of jazz musicians.

Chuck Israels
230 North Garden Terrace
Bellingham, WA 98225-5836