At 6:24 PM -0700 6/30/10, Ryan wrote:
I'm waffling back and forth over the need for slurs over fingered tremolos
in strings. Example: Whole note C, whole note A, three tremolo beams in
between.
My familiarity with the music tells me that a slur is somewhat implied, but
I wonder if a slur would help the sight reader. There are a lot of tremolos
like this in this piece, ranging from the whole note level down to the
eighth note level.
In addition to your own insight, can someone tell me what Stone, Read, et al
say about this, if anything? My copies are at my office and I'm working from
home tonight.
Thanks for your help
Ryan

A bowed tremolo keeps the bow in the same place. But you're talking about a fingered tremolo, which means the bow travels. And that means that it's a good idea to include bowings (slurs) telling the player when to change bows. That will change depending on whether the dynamic is soft (more notes to a bow, gentle bowing) or loud (fewer notes to a bow, heavier bowing).

If you want to send an example, I could give you a better opinion.

John

--
John R. Howell, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Virginia Tech Department of Music

"We never play anything the same way once."  Shelly Manne's definition
of jazz musicians.