Hi,

I am mostly still using 2007, but I opened these in 2010.

It appears it's trying to print in color when printing to PDF, in monochrome
otherwise.

The resulting PDF with colors turned off in the display is then in monochrome.

I don't know what's wrong, but for now try:

Uncheck "Display Colors" in the print dialog, or failing that, Edit | Program
Options | Display Colors "Use Score Colors" (uncheck). (I'm not sure where
this is in 2008)