Fellow Listers:

Since I first released ChordSymbol in 1996, I've been trying to encourage
music instructors (initially music theory teachers, now also jazz arranging
teachers) to use Finale and Sibelius integrally in their teaching.
Specifically,  the Rubicon is crossed when daily homework assignments are
completed
*digitally*  by students on their own computers using the cheap student
versions of these  applications.

This means students must learn a music-notation app along with the course
content--not a small thing. But knowing such technology tools should be  con
sidered part of being a professional musician nowadays. And one of those
tools is, or ought to be (I respectfully suggest), ChordSymbol for traditional
 music chord symbols and JazzSymbol for commercial music chord symbols.
They're  both light-years beyond the limited capacity built into the
music-notation apps  right now when it comes to chord symbol entry, where
everyone who
uses these  programs has to build their own custom library of, say, jazz
suffixes and  tensions, or--still worse--figured bass stacks. With Unicode,
such libraries can  be built right into a font--ChordSymbol 2 has more than 13
times the special  symbols that were in ChordSymbol 1. And to the extent
our fonts become industry  standard, students will have to obtain such a tool
just once for use in any  application, including word-processing programs
such as Word.

In this context I'm pleased to mention that as of last week, the  next
editions of both the number 1 and 2 college music theory textbooks will be
formatted using ChordSymbol 2. I'm working on the commercial sheet music
publishers and the jazz/pop arranging/harmony/history textbook authors and
their
publishers on the commercial side. In fact, we're offering to help produce
such as complete sets of part-writing exercises in both Sibelius and  Finale
for these textbooks at low contract rates. We're even trying to set  up a
"share space" at our web site where instructors may exchange, at no cost,
their own sets of custom-produced exercises--that representing in itself a
revolutionary step forward in music teaching, and a major motivator of this
posting (do please get in touch with me if you have  materials you'd like to
contribute). Things change fundamentally when  an 18-year-old music student
regularly sits down at his or her laptop, completes  a homework assignment
using one of these programs and a cheaply obtained  copy of one of our fonts
(listening to their work prior to submission), and then  submits it by email.

I've been out of teaching for nearly ten years. Is this sort of thing
happening more regularly now? I hope so, and not just for commercial reasons.
The resulting improvement in musical literacy should be dramatic, largely
due to the wonderful things that these great music-notation apps make
possible.  Sort of a brave new world of music instruction, which I'd like our
group
to be part of in at least a small way.

Cheers,  jrc

Dr. John R. Clevenger, Manager
The Virtual  Conservatory
50 S. Patterson Ave., #203
Santa Barbara, CA  93111
Phone and fax: (805) 964-7988 (for fax, ignore answering  machine)
Email: _jclev...@aol.com_ (mailto:jclev...@aol.com)
Web site: _www.virtualconservatory.com_
(http://www.virtualconservatory.com/)