My experience is more limited than others, but I've read a lot of string music. Three slashes will ALWAYS get you an unmeasured tremolo at any speed on any note value. One slash will always get you double the notes notated (i.e. single-slashed quarter means 2 8ths, etc.).

I have never seen 4 slashes, and would treat it as a mistake that was meant to be three.

But 2 slashes is ambiguous, and not all copysists seem to agree on what 2 slashes mean, or on whether the beam counts as a slash. THOSE will get you into trouble, and I would strongly recommend writing out a few exemplars before going to the slash notation.

I know that theorists like to deal in complete, logical systems, but much in music is neither complete nor logical, and this shorthand notation is one of those things. Example: we played the Schubert unfinished symphony last spring. In the viola part, in exactly parallel passages, sometimes there were notes with 3 slashes and sometimes with only 2. And sometimes it was inconsistent within the same passage! Which means that either Schubert, his original publisher, or the engraver of the edition we played from either didn't understand the theoretical "rules" or was sloppy in his notation!

I've also never seen the words "tremolo" or "trem" in music. When it is notated clearly there is never any ambiguity, but it's precisely when you leave the player wondering whether the beams count as a slash (which is quite illogical when you stop to think about it--if the notes were written with individual flags rather than beams the question wouldn't even come up, would it?) that you create ambiguity that needs to be clarified by writing out at least the first pattern.

This is a situation in which I'd suggest that appealing to authority will simply show that different composers have done things differently.

John