Raymond Horton
Composer, Arranger
Bass Trombonist, Louisville Orchestra
Minister of Music, Edwardsville (IN) UMC
VISIT US at rayhortonmusic.com

On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 12:31 AM, David W. Fenton
<lists.fin...@dfenton.com>wrote:

> On 5 Nov 2010 at 23:57, Raymond Horton wrote:
>
> > Third, of _course_ the PD editions do not reflect the latest in
> > research, but to say that "This doesn't really mean anything about
> > what Mahler originally wrote" is really going off the deep end with
> > this.  Even the worst, bowdlerized 19th century publications reflect
> > _something_ about what the composer wrote!  Or, if you meant "This
> > doesn't really mean anything about what Mahler originally wrote
> > [concerning horn keys]" I would still have to say that, for our
> > purposes on this list, this evidence stands until other evidence is
> > brought forward.
>
> These are not (necessarily) authoritative editions, so you can't use
> them as evidence for what Mahler originally wrote. You only know what
> was published. I don't know the history of Mahler editions, so it
> could very well be that the early editions accurately reflected his
> intentions.
>
> But we certainly know that some composers like Bruckner had their
> works drastically bowdlerized in their first publications. I'm not
> implying the same kind of interference in Mahler's publications as
> was the case from the brothers Schalk in Bruckner's case, but the
> point is you can't use evidence about which you don't know the
> origins or reliability in a case about what the composer would have
> intended.
>
> All you can say is what the scores have in them.
>
> If I don't have access to better editions or Mss, I can use knowledge and
logic, as I did earlier in my reply concerning trumpets in different keys in
the same edition.

Are the PD scores the last word?  Of course not.

Can we say "This doesn't really mean anything about what Mahler originally
wrote"?   Of course not, unless we think some editor is a genius.