On 8 Dec 2010 at 10:57, Eric Dannewitz wrote:

> On Dec 8, 2010, at 10:49 AM, David W. Fenton wrote:
>
> > In regard to the "virus tax" Microsoft's own product, Microsoft
> > Security Essentials (which is free) is sufficient to protect any
> > Windows PC, and it has a low CPU footprint (unlike most of the 3rd-
> > party AV software).

[]

> I agree. The whole Antivirus stuff is stupid. Microsoft should have,
> years ago, had a "Security Essentials" for Windows XP, Vista, and
> others.

It was a politically difficult thing, though, as it is yet another
case of MS taking over a market segment from 3rd-party vendors. At
this late remove from the anti-trust suit, they seem to be getting no
pushback on it, but any time sooner, it likely would have raised
eyebrows and caused complaints (and possible lawsuits) from the likes
of Symantec and McAfee.

> > I would love to use Apple hardware if they allowed me to install an
> > OS that I could use.
>
> There is absolutely NOTHING keeping you from using Apple hardware with
> Windows. It is very simple to install Windows over OS X.0

Er, no, it's not simple at all. Been there, done that -- not
impressed with the options.