On 23 Dec 2010 at 9:33, J D Thomas wrote:

> Finale has had an annoying GUI quirk as far back as I can remember.
> At least since 2001, maybe before that.  And it still exists in 2011.
>
> Why is it that whenever you open an existing file, switch to Page
> View, print, and then close the file, Finale asks if you want to save
> it???  Huh???  Even if I've made a modification, save it, then print,
> it asks if I want to save it up closing!?!?!
>
> Is it just that the programmers or designers at Coda, MakeMusic,
> whatever they're called this week, they just don't get it?

I suspect it's because printing causes an UPDATE LAYOUT, and that
means the loaded file is no longer in the same state as what was
loaded from the hard disk.

I think programs like MS Word do this, too, and they SILENTLY save
the changes to the file, without asking you and without changing the
date on the file.

Which would you prefer -- a file that has been changed without
telling you (and which could perhaps be corrupted by that change) or
a file that has been changed and you are told about it and given the
chance to not save the change?