The reason for having two copies is to allow different user accounts to have
different default settings. When a user starts using Finale, the files are
copied to their user library. I don't know which location is more obvious to
those not in the know: it may be a problem of the Mac OS that there are
similar-looking folders called "Library" in different places.

I think MakeMusic are right to have different copies of the default files for
different users, so that when one user edit their defaults the other users are
not affected; the problem is that it's too easy to come across the originals of
these files and edit them instead of the copies in your user account. If you do
this, first of all it won't have any effect on your Finale defaults, and second
it _will_ have an effect when somebody subsequently uses Finale for the first
time in another account. It would be better if the original default files were
contained in the application package itself: then the only default files that a
particular user could find and edit would be in their own user account.

Michael