There are two perfectly good solutions to this problem that, while not
obvious, are in no way kludges and in every way that matters work. They both
start with the same first step as follows:

1. Set the transposing instrument's staff to Independent Key Signature.
2. (Method 1) Set the key of the staff to C and set the transposition to
Chromatic Transposition.
3. (Method 2) Set the key of the staff to the key of transposition. (E.g,
for horn in F set the key to F.)

Either way you change the key signature, you will want to select Keep Notes
Enharmonically.

Method 1 is clearly better if you plan to display the score in C.

Method 2 may or may not have an advantage over Method 1. In the bad old days
before Chromatic Transposition, it was the only solution on the block. For
some reason my gut tells me there may some advantage in some peripheral
function. But my gut could be out of date. However, I generally Method 2 in
traditional scores, probably just because it's the first one I learned.