On 1 Feb 2011 at 9:35, David H. Bailey wrote:

> If the examples on the website are very fine and the output you see in
> the hymnal is poor, then how can you blame the program at all?

!!!

Of course you can blame the program! What that means is that a good
engraver knows what to adjust manually, while the neophyte will just
use the defaults. If the defaults are ill-chosen, it means there's
more tweaking required to get a "good enough" result (cf.
Finale/Sibelius).

Finale's defaults have always been terrible, and no one who wants
decent output uses the defaults for layout. The experienced Finale
user can get excellent output, but at the cost of a pretty large
investment in learning what to change from the way Finale sets things
up by default.

I don't care for Sibelius, but it produces satisfactory notation with
its out-of-the-box defaults, whereas Finale certainly does not.
That's a big time-saver when "good enough" is GOOD ENOUGH.