3

(or whatever you wish) and the string players will either honor it or ignore it but at least they'll know that you want the top note fingered with the 2nd finger, the middle note fingered with the 1st finger and the lowest note fingered with the 3rd finger.

David H. Bailey

On 2/25/2011 4:46 AM, Pierre Bailleul wrote:
Thanks for your response. Going further :
- Quarter note up stem with tremolo and number 3 above (eight note
tuplet): fingering above?
- Never along side the noteheads (inside staff) even when double note or
triple note?
Pierre

-----Message d'origine----- From: Lee Actor
Sent: Friday, February 25, 2011 10:08 AM
To: finale@shsu.edu
Subject: RE: [Finale] Violin fingerings

Almost always above, regardless of stem direction, and above tuplet numbers
and brackets. The only case I can think of where a fingering would go below
is in a divisi orchestral part with 2 voices on one staff, stems up and
stems down.

But as both a violinist with a lot of experience, and as a composer who has
written a lot of string music (including a violin concerto), I would urge
you to resist adding fingerings under any but very exceptional
circumstances, such as a technical etude, or a tricky special fingering as
written by an expert string player. Otherwise a fingering is less likely to
help than to be an annoyance. And guaranteed to be ignored even more than
bowings.

Lee Actor
Composer-in-Residence and Assistant Conductor, Palo Alto Philharmonic
http://www.leeactor.com

Hi all,

Do you know the exact placement of single note fingerings:
always placed above the notes or depending stems direction (like
articulations)?

In case of up stems tuplet, is it allowed to place fingerings :
- below the notes;
- above the notes with tuplet number and bracket below?

Thanks!

Pierre

David H. Bailey
dhbai...@davidbaileymusicstudio.com