Hi all,

In my experience, Finale 2011b is one of the best Finale versions for
converting older Finale files. When we do Finale file translations
here, we need to get files into at least Finale 2004 to export the
MusicXML with the best possible results - and the later the Finale
version, the better. We used to have to go through Finale 2008 to
avoid problems, but 2011b seems to read the old files directly very
well. It's now our version of choice for converting old Finale files
into other formats.

MusicXML is designed with archival needs in mind. When moving Finale
files back to an earlier version, most of the lossiness comes during
the import process, not the export. It is technically possible to add
formatting data to the import, but we haven't seen enough customer
demand for that feature to justify the development expense. Perhaps
that is changing?

We are currently in the process of designing and developing MusicXML
3.0, which should be released within the next few months. If you are
interested in participating, signup for the MusicXML mailing list is
available at:

At the moment, the combination of original source, MusicXML, PDF, and
digital audio files makes for a good (if imperfect) archival file set
for music notation files. As Dennis mentions, this is a small part of
the electroacoustic music archival problem. But for many composers and
songwriters, it solves a lot of the problem.

If you have files in other formats that you need to move into Finale,
our file translation and preservation services may help. We keep a
collection of older hardware and software around to help us offer this
service. There's more information on these services at:

  http://www.recordare.com/company/consulting/file-translation-request

Does anybody have a lead on a fully working System 7 Mac in the
Silicon Valley, California area that could run Music Construction Set
and other old Mac notation software? It would also need support for
floppy or other removable media so we could move files back and forth.
It would be great to have that to expand our collection of older Mac
hardware. We already have an iMac running OS 9 that we use for Mosaic
and HB Engraver files.

Best regards,

Michael Good
Recordare LLC