----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark D Lew" <markd...@earthlink.net>

> I don't agree with that. I understand that the standard is to only use a
> word extension when a syllable continues to another note, but in a
> situation where one voice has a long whole note while others are doing
> something else, I think the irregular courtesy word extension does no harm
> and could be helpful. If a client asks for such a thing, I don't think
> it's an unreasonable request, I don't think it will cause any confusion in
> rehearsal, and I wouldn't tell him it's "incorrect notation".

Mark, I don't yet know what the choir will be doing while the cantor is
canting.  This piece is a forced revision to my client's original work
because there have been changes made to the actual church service.  I'm not
a Catholic so I'm not familiar with this.  So far I only have the original
score and the revisions to the booklet used by the congregation.  The
revised score isn't ready yet.  The choir is holding a long note in the
original, but I believe this is going to be changed.

I believe the extension lines were drawn because the cantor has to delay the
words to an extent, or maybe more accurately, hold certain syllables, but
until the score is completed I can't tie everything in together.

> But anyway, I don't think this is actually what Peter is asking for. His
> real issue is that he's putting multiple syllables under one long note.
> When you do this, Finale refuses to allow a space, hyphen or underscore
> among them, because its UI treats that as a code to jump to the next note.
> For the space you can substitute a hard space. For the hyphen you can
> supposedly substitute a hard hyphen, though in many fonts it will look
> wrong. For an underscore you're out of luck.
>
> What I would do here is to enter the whole intoned bit as a text box
> instead of a lyric. (You may want to initially enter it as a lyric to help
> with getting the font size and baseline properly aligned, but then delete
> the lyric once you have the text box in place.)
>
> mdl

You've hit the nail on the head Mark.  I've actually entered the lines and
words using a note expression.  It works fine, and of course it will move
with the note if any layout changes are made later.

I'm treating this as a proofing draft for the time being.  I fully expect it
will need to be changed later when I get the revised score.

Many thanks
Peter