I'd like to add my two bits to the conversation about layers and stems up
or down in drumset parts.
I think the discussion might be better served by not being concerned about
layers, but by thinking about what is easiest to read.
When notating drum parts (and I notate as a performer who will need to
read what I write, and for my students), I first make the decision about
whether the drums constitute different instruments, or are part of a
complex instrument in which the drums are just individual sounds, like
keys on a piano. The reason for this is that I get to choose how many
rests I'm going to write. For example, consider playing snare drum on beat
4 and bass drum on the and of 4. If I consider the drums to be a single
instrument, I can beam snare drum notes to bass drum notes, and save
myself writing an eighth note rest for the bass drum on beat 4; this is
visually more clear than writing individual notes and the necessary rests.
As duration for a snare drum note is essentially meaningless, it doesn't
matter if I notate the snare drum with a quarter note (which admittedly is
the norm) or an eighth note. The same is true for bass drum notes.
If I want to consider the drums as each being individual instruments, then
technically I should make all the necessary rests visible in each and
every bar. Generally, this is a hassle, and it adds un-necessary visual
information to the part.
So, the discussion of layers is perhaps less useful than a discussion of
instruments, and this in part takes care of the worry about stem
directions. Most of the music I have seen in my life has bass drum stem
downs, and snare drums stems varying considering the context of the piece.
If the music in question is a jazz chart and the cymbal part isn't being
written out, then the snare drum stems generally point up. I could
certainly point list members to a large collection of drumset pedagogical
sources and transcriptions that present the snare drum stems in either or
both directions
One last comment; drummers don't usually think in 'layers'; this a term
and thought process used in Finale to facilitate handling complex musical
notation. Well-chosen layers may coincide with "hands" or "feet", but they
don't *necessarily* have any relevance to how the drummer thinks. I
usually use a cymbals layer and a pedals (bass drum and hi hat) layer, and
the snare drum moves back and forth as necessary/convenient/desirable to
maximise clarity.
--
Geoff