At 8:00 AM -0400 10/4/11, timothy.price wrote:
>On Oct 3, 2011, at 5:23 PM, John Howell wrote:
>
>>   books that show plates of
>>  top quality museum violins and have written
>>  descriptions of them.
>
>Does the name have anything to do with the shape if the letter?
>If so, then in English we would use "f " a lower case scripted
>character.  This is Lucida Calligraph and looks appropriate to me.

Of course it does, just as the term C-hole has to
do with the shape of the letter when that cutout
is used on violas da gamba, but it specifically
does in English, and the early violin family
makers were working for the most part in northern
Italy.  So I wonder what the Italian term was or
is.

But that was exactly the original question:  does
the shape of the icon as it is carved control the
shape of the letter to be used in typescript?
Your Lucida Calligraph did not come through,
possibly because I might not have that font on my
computer, or because I have my email configured
to use Chicago for display.

I brought up the long ess incorrectly, since the
difference between that and the f is whether
there is a projection to the right of the letter
or not.  And on a violin family instrument there
is.  In fact those projections (the cross stroke)
are used to line up the placement of the bridge.

John

--
John R. Howell, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Virginia Tech Department of Music

"Machen Sie es, wie Sie wollen, machen Sie es nur schön."
(Do it as you like, just make it beautiful!)  --Johannes Brahms