It has been awhile since I looked at the MOLA guidelines and I have to say
they are much improved since the last time I read them c. 10 years ago.
Some math errors have been fixed, and they are much less prescriptive.
(Even the best editions of Beethoven Symphonies did not meet the MOLA
guidelines as they were then written.)

The 85 mm staff-size recommendation is a holdover from those days, but it
is now more of an option that a requirement. I think there are very few
publishers of common practice music who deploy staff sizes that big for
orchestral parts of any instrument. I tend to gravitate to about an 86%
staff size but I help compensate for presbyopia by increasing the notehead
size to 26pt instead of 24pt. This yields noteheads equivalent to 93% staff
reduction at 24pt, making for easier reading at a distance, but it allows
for fewer page turns and less bulky parts. (I have noticed that in engraved
music the noteheads appear larger relative to the staff than for any
mainstream music font that I know of.)

Many of those MOLA guidelines, even 10 years ago, were very useful advice.
But even today I would not slavishly follow it. And I certainly would not
use 85mm staff sizes unless you have some sort of contractual obligation to
do so.

BTW: 85mm staff size is 100% size in Finale.