ok so this has pissed me off more than once, i have done massive
amounts of work cleaning up the SC and now am working on PTs and find
that applying music spacing (selection tool, press 4) affects the SC,
although i am working in the PT.

looking closer at it, i find very strange behaviour:
- apply music spacing to measure/region, it is edited in both PT and
SC, but only shows in SC once you undo+redo Mass Edit (may have
something to do with my auto-update settings)
- in the PT, select a measure/region, and check the PT via
Utilities/Music Spacing/Apply to Selected... = entire part is edited

i used to think this problem was associated with using one of the
TGTools but usually never caught it early enough to verify.  this
time i hadn't used TGTools at all and found the exact point at which
the prohblem occurs and can cause it without fail.

after quitting and relaunching i get the exact same behaviour.

in programme options, auto-music spacing is off, auto update layout is on

aaaaaaaaah, i just discovered that after deselecting auto-update
layout i don't seem to encounter the problem!!!

but still, this is just wrong, i can't see how this behaviour could
actually be desired, so must be a bug, yeah?