I get you now.. when I saw who message was from I realised that I was telling
you nothing new..
In this case an opaque box is probably the most elegant solution.
In the notation app I used before Finale (and after very early Finale use..)
you could right click on anything and hide it.
For that matter you could click on anything and move it.
Finale is like copying with boxing gloves on in comparison!
Steve P.