On my last orchestral piece, I found the delay before playback got longer, and
I found that if instead of pressing play, I used the SPACEBAR+Click method of
playing it was much quicker. This wouldn't work if you had an accompanying
audio file - it also wouldn't work for those using Human Playback. I never use
Human Playback, so it wasn't an issue.

In terms of instrument changes, what I tend to do is set all the instruments
I'm going to need on a separate channel (so, for 1st violin, I have perhaps on
average 5 channels, sometimes a couple more). I find patch changes a bit more
complicated to figure exactly which bank and number it's going to be, and I
find the reliability of them varies on the VSTi in question. I use expressions
with channel changes to change from one sound to another. I've been doing this
for a couple of years now and I find it pretty reliable. I could see how some
might think this is a crazy way to do it, but it works 100% of the time. On my
current piece I have 8 VSTis running, with varying numbers of patches in each,
from 1 to 16. I have 4GB or RAM and an i5 processor laptop, so not the fastest,
but not the slowest either.
I think VST instruments being somewhat RAM-intensive is just a downside of the
technology. The upside is the immense amount of flexibility one has.
All that said, one thing that really bugs the hell out of me about the Score
Manager is that when you want to create a new instrument it generally inserts a
new VST instrument into a slot previously held by one already set up, meaning I
have to set it up again, sometimes more than one of them. This is infuriating
and time consuming. I think this needs an additional step/option, such as
"Create in [Existing VSTi]/Create New VSTi.
C.
--
Colin BroomComposer

http://soundcloud.com/colinbroom