Thanks to everyone for their suggestions; you have all been most helpful in
 shaping my next tack.  Actually, upon one of the suggestions I actually
listened to the MIDI file of my latest revision at the point in question (I
just  loathe hearing the piano in MIDI so I had been avoiding it, to be
completely  honest), and, in fact, it was playing the rhythms perfectly.  Our
composer  simply can't count his own music, which is a different problem, I'm
afraid.  I had remembered older Finale versions that slaughtered tremolos
so I chose to avoid listening to it for no good reason, apparently!

I agree completely as a fellow professional pianist (and musician in
general) that I'm appalled that anyone would rely on MIDI to learn something;
we're really and truly lost if that's the case.  I forbade my students when  I
was a university professor from listening to recordings while they were
learning pieces lest they just come in and parrot these versions back to me,
and  I remember similar sentiments expressed to me by my own teachers,
including the  late Marilyn Neeley.  I told her once I had been listening to  a
certain recording of the Grieg Concerto, and she quickly snapped at  me that
she didn't need a "Philippe Entremont clone" coming into the  lesson.  If
only more people thought this way and listened to multiple  recordings AFTER
learning a piece and not during the formative process...oh  well, that's
wishful thinking in a YouTube world, isn't it?

Michael Wittenburg