Changing instruments, clumsy though it seems, actually works pretty well.
And fortunately you can do so in the part only. The main difficulties are
if the cue is exactly one bar or if the cue and the part overlap in a bar.
That takes some fiddling.

I am no fan of the instrument concept as currently implemented, either.