That's an important difference that Don points out: the "Tempo Marks"
category defaults to "Beginning of Measure," (or "Start of Time Signature,"
I forget which) while the "Tempo Alterations" category defaults to
"Horizontal Click Positioning"

Of course, either can be redefined as a category or individually, or -
perhaps best for Phil's use - a new category could be made - with hidden
tempo marks that default to horizontal position, for example.

Raymond Horton
Bass Trombonist, Louisville Orchestra
Minister of Music, Edwardsville (IN) UMC
Composer, Arranger
VISIT US AT rayhortonmusic.com