If you're using Audio Units, go to MIDI/Audio>Instrument Setup>Audio Units
Instruments. There's a volume slider there that's set well below the maximum
level by default. Other than that, open the Mixer and make sure both your
instrument and the master fader are set to max.

David Wolfson
davidwolfsonmusic.net