I am on Mac, but I would assume Windows has similar options for choosing font
interpretation settings. Long since I set up my system, but there are various
ISO and various national systems. Myself operating in Danish, German, and
English only one system works and oddities happen, if I choose a different one.

Could your original setting at this root level have gone corrupted?

Klaus