Hi Folks:

I really don't know much about drum kit samples and playbacks, so I'm
coming at this from tremendous naivete. Native Instruments' Kontakt
suite offers two options (that I can figure out) for drums: kits, and
individual drums.

If one chooses a kit, and enters a quarter note, it plays a "groove",
it does not play back as written. If one selects a single drum/part
of a kit as an orchestral instrument (such as a snare or a cymbal), a
quarter note will play back as written.

Is that what one has to do if one wants to write for a drum set using
samples? There must be a better way. Do all manufacturers' drum kits
work this way?

Dana