Open the "Score Manager" and select your tambourine staff.
Set "Notation Style" to "Percussion" and select "Maracas, Tambourine &
Shakers"
in the "Percussion layout selection" dialog, then click on "Select".
Back in Score Manager set the "Perc. MIDI Map" of the tambourine staff
to "General MIDI" and assign "SmartMusicSynth" as Device.
When using MIDI playback (and not VST Playback), assign
MIDI channel 10 to the tambourine staff in the Score Manager.

When you now enter into the staff with speedy note entry,
you should be able to enter and to hear maracas, tambourine and shakers
notes.
If you want to have tambourine only, you can edit the "Maracas, Tambourine
& Shaker" settings above and delete everything except Tambourine.
Better make a duplicate of the original notation style before deleting.

If you are not using SmartMusicSynth or any General MIDI playback engine,
you may need a different Perc.MIDI Map and a different notation style.

Best regards,
Jan