On Sun, Mar 16, 2014 at 6:37 AM, Peter Taylor <pe...@euphonium.plus.com> wrote:
> ... If it's [Pistone] a cornet then I'm pondering why it wasn't called a
> "Cornetto Mib".

The brass, valved cornet was, early on, called "Cornet a Pistons" to
differentiate it from the older "cornet" (AKA "cornetto" or "zinc")
from which it took it's name.  Later the name "Piston" was used, for a
time, by itself for the brass instrument.

Spellings and languages vary on all of these.

> Someone has asked me to produce a modern (British) brass band set of a piece
> by Amilcare Ponchielli, and Henry has very helpfully directed me to his
> Pochiello website, which I'm sure is going to give me a lot of guidance.

I'm surprised Henry hasn't already done your piece!  He has done a lot
of Ponchielli brass band works.

> Many thanks again
> Peter

You are more than welcome!

Raymond Horton
Bass Trombonist, Louisville Orchestra
Minister of Music, Edwardsville (IN) UMC
Composer, Arranger
VISIT US AT rayhortonmusic.com