On 5/25/2014 1:09 AM, dershem wrote:
> using FinWin2010b
>
> Trying to set up a simple latin percussion line - clave and shaker (2/3
> clave).
> In a big band score.
> I set up the line, put the notes in:
> Layer 1: shaker.  just 8th notes.
> Layer 2 clave.  2/3
> Smart Music SoftSynth, garritan ambience.
> Layer 10 (drums)
> Nothing comes out.
>
> Where is the error?

You have to be sure of which pitches you have specified for those
instruments and then you have to put the notes only in those locations.

When you defined the percussion map for that staff, you had to choose a
notation pitch as well as a playback sound.

You haven't said what sort of staff you're using (1-line, 3-line,
5-line, whatever), but assuming you're using a 1 line staff, the line
represents the treble-clef note B (middle line of the treble clef staff)
if you're using treble-clef entry.  If you've assigned the pitch C (3rd
space treble clef) to be the Shaker and A (2nd space treble clef) to be
the Clave, then you have to put the notes only in those spaces to get
sounds.

The percussion map remains the most horrendous, practically
incomprehensible aspects of Finale and has only changed very little over
the many years that I've used the program.  I find percussion in
Sibelius to be much easier to use.

The layer you put the notes in doesn't matter nearly as much as where on
the staff they've been defined in the percussion dialog and where you
place the notes while entering the music.

--
David H. Bailey
dhbai...@davidbaileymusicstudio.com