On 8/13/2014 11:10 PM, Ryan Beard wrote:
> In a work for string orchestra, I have a passage with 4 solo first
> violins, and the rest of the section in resting.
>
> I have included 4 staves in the score for the first violins and will
> hide the empty staves when I lay out the rest of the score. These
> four staves will be included in the Violin I part.
>
> Do I need to have a fifth staff with rests to show that the rest of
> the section is not playing this passage? Or are the current four
> sufficient with the staves labelled as "solo" for this passage?

You should not need a fifth staff with rests -- the indication of 4 1sts
each playing one of the solo lines should be enough to indicate that all
the other 1sts should be resting.

After all, if you have a single staff with a section marked "Solo" all
the rest of the section automatically rests with no other indication
necessary.

--
David H. Bailey
dhbai...@davidbaileymusicstudio.com